Chat here

Welcome to ComposersofSibelius! Get comfy and let’s chat.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Welcome and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Chat here

1. Steve says:

Well, the name is kinda corny… But the site is alright!

2. It looks like the first time a visitor leaves a comment it must be approved, but thereafter approved visitors will be able to post freely.

3. Steve says:

Here is a link to a score, posted only as a test, of course! ๐Ÿ˜‰

4. Steve says:

Until I can see about setting things up permanently, be sure to right click and open the links in a new tab/window. Otherwise you will leave this site without warning.

• Steve says:

Note: all links in comments will take you away from this site. If you wish to open the link in a new tab or window, you must right click on the link and select how to open it.

5. Steve says:

Also note the ability to reply directly to an existing comment or, in the big box at bottom, leave an independent comment.

6. Kevin says:

Good Luck with this Steve!

7. maritune says:

Other websites, personal or collective blogs and various pages that could be used as hubs for connecting former SibeliusMusic users could be listed in a blog roll type of list in the margin, if teh blog owner wishes to.

For example, all the new and old forums and boards, for example, maybe the Sibelian Conspiracy blog (collective blog) (at http://sibelian.blogspot.com ), the Facebook group(s) and pages for Sibelius and SibeliusMusic users (for example, the SibMus group at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=24163866631 ), Daniel Spreadbury’s Sibelius blog, the old Yahoo group “21st century composers” (at http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/21stcenturycomposers/ ), old webrings with Sibelius composers, the personal blogs, profiles and home pages of composers we know from SibMus chat page (for example, R.A. Moulds, Ed Sharpe, Richard Wayland, Lisa Marie Gabriel, Ben Donnelly, Bernard Hughes, Curtis Schweitzer, Justin Tokke, tim ellis, Andrew Lowe-Watson, Laurence A. Hughes, Michael Cutler, Mary Rose Jensen, and many more…)

Just an idea. Or a dozen.

• Steve says:

Good idea – thanks and Welcome!

I’ve implemented the links to some of the other forums (the ones unfamiliar to me I’d like to visit and get a feel for before linking to them). As for individual’s homepages, I’m not against the idea, but at this early point I don’t want to get into any politics and I don’t think there’s room for everyone who deserves mention! Of course, anyone is welcome to post a link here to their homepage and maybe in time I can even offer a “featured” composer from time to time or something similar.

• maritune says:

Hehe. Yes, I think it is better at least not to list composers who are not active on this particular website. I was just making a list of people I remembered as bloggers or who I know have or have had some sort of other internet home than their SibMus page. And many of the other hubs, forums and pages I mentioned are really old, internet-wise, and in many cases without member or visitor activity since years.

• Steve says:

That’s kind of my thinking with this idea. Take advantage of the sad closing of Sibeliusmusic and try to use that natural momentum to re-invigorate and update the situation rather than let it go stagnant or die altogether. We’ll see…

• maritune says:

I forgot to mention the official Avid Scorch forum, which is a kind of mix between a tech support forum and a user board: http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=88

Since the new Scorch version for ipad will be used both for commercial score viewing and for storing Sibelius users own scores on, the forum could be an interesting place to visit, to understand about how people are thinking about the technology and if they mention the “community catalogue”, which means the scores that now are on SibeliusMusic and/or ScoreExchange. Maybe an occasional discussion about a score, or the other music or Sibelius related stuff we have discussed on SibMus chat page is on topic there?

• Steve says:

Re: community tab, When I asked the folks at ScoreExchange about this they stated that at present scores on ScoreExchange would not yet be available on the iPad scorch app, although they were in negotiations.

8. Mark Bloss says:

Sticking my head in the door, here.

• Steve says:

Welcome Mark! Didn’t see you at first – you got spamblocked… Silly software, doesn’t know a composer from a piece of processed meat! Thanks for stopping by and don’t be a stranger.

9. maritune says:

The spam block of comments from new visitors or comments with more than one link in it is a feature of WordPress publishing that you have to live with. Not practical for casual visitors or for blog owners who can’t remember that they should log in to the admin page now and then and moderate new comments.

10. Steve says:

I think being Web-diversified will help combat the shock over the loss of the SibMu forum. Has anyone noticed how much more frequently the forum has been visited and contributed to since the announcement it was closing? A lot of people it seems will be affected, not many of them in less than profound ways I think.

11. Kevin says:

It would have been something if just 50% of the people that use Sibelius actually shouted about what is going on instead of the dozen or so regulars.

Kevin